Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Scott Simpson, Farrier friend

Contribute about Scott Simpson: Farrier, Teacher, Friend, and Christian Brother. I got the sad news of his death this past week.

I met Scott as the instructor at Montana University Horseshoeing School in 1977. Scott was strict and informative as an instructor of farrier science. Yet, like the hard steal he softened in the forge to expertly shape into a beautiful handmade shoe, he always was there to shape a friendship.

My favorite quotes/thoughts from Scott:

· “You know why farrier’s go to Hell? To pound on cold metal”

· “When it comes to nailing we are going to name you ‘Lightening’. Not because you are so fast, but because you can’t hit the same place twice!”

· “Shape the shoe: Toe – Quarter – Heel”

· Want your nails to come out at the right height? “Aim it”

· “Let’s rope the dummy for an airplane ride” I think I lost but I still got that plane ride!

· “Always shoe with the lightest shoe possible”

· When traveling from Montana to a farrier convention in Clovis, CA over a snowy Donner’s Pass, “So you just pointed to the Montana license plates and didn’t stop for tire chains?!”

· “Always compliment your clients horse, even if you say ‘nice color’.”

Scott’s instruction, encouragement, visits through the years, and friendship are major components to why I am still shoeing horses after all these years.

2 comments:

  1. Lee, Thank you for your kind rememberences of my daddy, Scott Simpson. It was a privelege being not only his eldest kid and daughter, but his freind as well. Lord bless you and I'll see you at the banquet in Heaven! Maranatha, Lord Jesus!
    Sincerely,
    Mary K Simpson Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't check my blog enough until the weather turns bad. so sorry I didn't acknowledge your comment until now. So glad to have known your father. And I am glad you found my little blog where I post my shoeing thoughts. And most important i am glad to hear that you probably know Jesus. am so glad your dad know him!
      Here , There, or In the Air!!

      Delete