Monday, July 18, 2011

donkey trim





This will probably be a short one….I don’t know who reads this, if anyone, but for my documentation I want to post my theory about trimming donkeys, burrows, and even their half relation, the mule. One of the guidelines/rule-of-thumb farriers use now to help determine a balanced trim is stated similar to: “trim the heels to the widest part of the frog”. However, I find this does not apply to the above-mentioned critters. I notice that a large portion of the donkey’s frog typically is aligned to set behind the heels. Am I wrong? Can someone comment to let me know if I am way off track?

pic 1 donkey

pic 2 trimmed

pic 3 untrimmed



4 comments:

  1. No, your observation is quite right. Widest part of the donkey's frog is pretty much behind the hoof. No trimming back to that.

    I haven't done burros in a while... But may be shopping for a Mammoth Jack soon. Guess I'll have to refresh my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Good luck with your Jack...Are you gonna raise mules? I think "trim to the widest part of the frog" doesn't apply to mules either. Sometimes it gets close.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Draft mules, perhaps... Tried breeding my best Belgian mare to a Belgian stud AI this year, and it was a lot of coin and effort wasted.

    Need to just get a new stud around here. And the wife has always loved the big, red mules...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all the rules go out the window when it comes to donkeys!

    Keep blogging,
    David Hankin Dip.WCF
    www.farriery.com

    ReplyDelete