Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Trim , the basis to good hoof care

The American Farriers Journal sent out a query to me and probably 100+ other farriers to answer a few questions about what we as individuals use as hoof guidelines to accomplish a proper trim. In past blogs I have touched on the importance of a good trim as the base to good hoof care and shoeing. I thought I would make a blog entry on this poll question, as well as, send it into the magazine.
Now most shoers I know don’t carry an x-ray or a radiograph machine with them so we can’t use what is inside the hoof to show us how to trim the hoof. However, once you learn more about the anatomy of the hoof, you learn there are certain outside structures that correlate with the inside structures, mainly the coffin bone, sensitive laminae. Individual shoers use different indicators to help accuire a proper trim.
I tend to use a combination of guidelines. But to begin with, I basically use the frog as an indicator as where to trim the heels and toe. So I first either need to be sure I have a trimmed frog and /or in cases where the horny (old & non-living) frog is not ready to slough off and protection is needed for type of use, I need to acquire an understanding of the size and placement the frog would it be trimmed. Without going into the anatomy in detail, let me say that the tip of a properly trimmed frog gives an indicator where the coffin bone placement. Also, the frog provides guidelines as to how the heels need to be trimmed. Often times trimming the bottom of the hoof to these indicators I end up with a proper angle for that horse. Which can be checked with other references when the horse is standing, such as, the slope of the shoulder.
I believe there are two types of balance when it comes to lateral balance. Which will be for discussion at another time…..One is stationary balance and the other is seen in the movement (landing). In short I will also, use the coronary band as an indicator of “problems” of misplaced pressure. And I use the landing of the foot to judge the final touch ups on a trim, mainly on crooked leg/hoof cases.
One other thought, as far as hoof landmarks to use in achieving a proper trim. I usually find any sand cracks (see past blog entry on cracks), especially at the back of the hoof, indicates imbalance between the front of the hoof and the back. (angle).

No comments:

Post a Comment